This is one of those recipes that start out as an idea/ experiment, sans recipe, in other words. A lot of my ideas for food come from experimentation, and this one turned out really well. I’ve been looking to replace rice recently, and made hulless barley for the first time with this recipe. Compared to rice, it’s loaded with lots of nutrients and fiber- you can read more about it’s nutrition information here.
The ingredients for this recipe are:
1 cup hulless barley
4 cloves of garlic
Green onions- chopped. Divide in half to use as garnish
Basil- chopped. Divide in half to use as garnish
1 medium Jalapeno- chopped (optional)
Vegan sausage (optional)
- Cook hulless barley per instructions. Cover and set aside. On a separate pot, sauté garlic on low heat for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, chopped parsley, pinch of salt and Tony Chachere to garlic sauté, and continue to sauté on low heat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vegan sausage, half of the chopped green onions, half of the chopped basil and jalapenos. Continue to sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add above sauté to cooked barley. Garnish with basil and green peppers.
- Add more salt and seasoning to taste.
We enjoyed it, and I hope you do too!